Monday, November 1, 2010

Mommy & Me Monday: Pumpkin Pie in a Jar

Hello and Happy November! Hopefully you are not warding off sugar-crazed children while trying to read this post!! Now that Halloween has passed, I am really excited to share several ideas with you in November. I am so glad I have made it through October and am looking forward to doing several fun projects with my boys this month.

I LOVE to make fun little gifts to give others and the blogosphere is an endless source of inspiration for me. I found the idea for this project on Saturday, made it on Sunday afternoon, and we were able to pass out these little pies in a jar to several of the houses where we trick-or-treat each year. The recipe for these can be found at THIS LINK on the Crafting Chicks blog. Their blog is new to me and I immediately signed up as a subscriber. So many fun ideas! I will admit that I mostly made this recipe by myself. My youngest son was at a birthday party and my oldest was doing some work that he needed to get done. Still, they both enjoyed passing these out on Halloween night. We usually take them trick-or-treating to the homes of their classroom teachers, so they were able to spread the Halloween love to their teachers. This would be a great gift to give anytime during the fall. And it tastes REALLY good!!

NOTE: If you make these, try to find the half-pint wide-mouth jars. I had to use the regular mouth ones which are taller and narrower. It worked okay, but it got a little messy when I was putting the filling in and I think that would have been easier with a wider mouthed jar.


The photo above shows one of the jars with the graham cracker "crust" inside. I placed the jars into the fridge for about an hour to let the crust chill before adding the filling and topping. Using the box the jars came in made it really easy to stick them into the fridge.



The photo below shows the jars filled with the three layers: crust, filling and whipped topping. I used a paper towel to wipe off the filling that got on the inside of the jars when I filled them.



To "cuten" up the project, I used my scrapbooking tools and some pretty paper to cut circles that I placed on the lids. I didn't even glue them on, I just put them on top of the lid and screwed the ring on. Then I printed some labels on the computer and attached those to the side of the jar. The final step was using some twine to tie a spoon to the side. I am so happy with how these turned out. This may become a new Halloween tradition for our family. I really want to instill the joy of giving in my boys. While I love gifts and surprises, I get MUCH more enjoyment from giving something unexpected to others than from receiving a gift myself.



Yumminess in a jar!! How cute is that?









1 comment:

Krystal said...

This looks so yummy!