Monday, February 21, 2011

Mommy & Me Monday: Read to Me and ABC

Hello, all! I am posting this late because............I forgot about it! I don't have a new craft to show you this week. However, I wanted to share with you an awesome resource I came across for teaching your children the letters of the alphabet. It makes me wish my two boys didn't know their alphabet so I could go back and do this with them. There are plenty of alphabet resources available online, but what I REALLY love about this program (besides that all the ideas are FREE!) is that each lesson starts with a book that you read with your child. Then you do a fun and simple activity which goes with the book and emphasizes a letter of the alphabet. As you go through the letters, your child will assemble a keepsake letter book that they have made with you. I just love this idea!

I sometimes get asked either by parents of students I teach or by readers of my Montessori blog if it makes a difference what order you use to teach the letters of the alphabet. My suggestion is to do it however feels right for your family. One suggestion is to start with A and go through the whole alphabet in order. Another idea is to start with the letters of your child's name since they have intrinsic meaning for the child. Then you could add the letters of the names of other family members and continue until you've gone through the alphabet. Anything is really fine and remember that the most important thing is to have fun!!

CLICK HERE for the link. This post will show you how to make the letter folders and to set it all up. It will also have links to all the posts written for individual letters.

No comments: